Stonehenge had also been on my bucket list and I was so pleased to hear this world heritage site was part of this year’s tour. It was a little more of a production than I expected with the parking area being some distance from the site. But the folks that run it do provide transportation.
Stonehenge is a prehistoric monument that originated between 2000 and 3000 BC and because of the age of the monument, there is a great deal of mystery. I did learn that:
- It is a burial site
- The Druids would hold ceremonies here
- For the most part, the public is no longer aloud to walk up to the stones
- That over the years the stones have been straightened when in danger of falling over
- The visitor’s center opened in December 2013 and I could have happily spent more time there
- According to some myths, the stone were healing rocks